- Go! Northfield-Dundas
- Submit Content
Northfeld in the News: Vintage Band Festival 2013
Submitted by Rob Hardy on Fri, 07/26/2013 - 7:10am
The Vintage Band Festival has been garnering a lot of attention in the regional media, including a mention in the Chicago Tribune's list of Midwestern summer highlights. The festival begins on Thursday, August 1, and runs through Sunday, August 4, with concerts and events scheduled throughout Northfield and the surrounding area. Here's a digest of some of the recent press.
- Preservation Alliance of Minnesota. "Recalling History Through Its Sights and Sounds" (written by Northfielder Amy Acheson)
- Minnesota Monthly. "Northfield's Vintage Band Festival"
- Twin Cities Daily Planet. "A band festival worth tooting about"
- Rochester Post-Bulletin. "Band festival restores vintage sounds"
- Chicago Tribune. "Midwest events."
- SouthernMinn Scene. "Seventy-Six Trombones and a Whole Lot More"
- Northfield News. "Northfield's Vintage Band Festival celebrates music and instruments of past eras"
- Northfield Patch. "Whetting Your Appetite for the Vintage Band Festival"
- Northfield News. "A day at Northfield's Vintage Band Festival" (written by Paul Niemisto)
- KYMN Radio. Paul Niemisto on Paula Granquist's ArtZany! radio show (Friday, July 26, 2013)
- StarTribune. "Old-time bands bring the brass for Northfield festivals"
- Explore Minnesota. "Vintage Band Festival"
- Northfield News. "My, Vintage Band Festival, how you've grown" (editorial)
- Classical MPR. "Vintage Bands, nature, and great food make for a moveable feast in Northfield, Minn." (with audio)
- Classical MPR. "The sound of the Vintage Band Festival" (audio, John Birge interviews Paul Niemisto)
Looking back to the 2010 Vintage Band Festival, here's my post from Dickinson College's Civil War blog, Blog Divided, about the "battle of the bands" across the Cannon River: "A Battle of the Bands." This year's Battle of the Bands will take place on the downtown Riverwalk from noon to 12:50 p.m. on Saturday, August 3. Four Union bands (1st Brigade Band; Century Brass; Frontier Brigade Band; Independent Silver Band) will face off across the river against two Confederate bands (26th North Carolina Regimental Band; Newberry’s Victorian Cornet Band). It's something not to be missed in this Civil War sesquicentennial year.
Press on individual bands and festival venues:
- "Lake Wobegon® Brass Band returns to Vintage Band Festival" (ABC Newspapers)
- "Vintage Band Festival comes to St. Peter" (St. Peter Herald)
- "Independent Silver Band performs as finale to Chatfield summer concert series" (Fillmore County Journal)
- "Swedish band at Gammelgården Museum" (Forest Lake Times)