- Go! Northfield-Dundas
- Submit Content
Downtown Historic District Rental Rehabilitation Program
Submitted by Michelle Mahowald on Thu, 11/03/2016 - 4:04pm
The City of Northfield Housing & Redevelopment Authority (HRA) in conjunction with Dakota County Community Development Agency (CDA) is committed to achieving the goal of decent housing and suitable living environments for persons of low and moderate income. Utilizing Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds, the HRA will provide matching grants for historic rehabilitation and/or energy efficiency improvements of privately owned rental properties in the Historic Downtown District.
Northfield has 70 licensed rental units located on the second and third floor of 27 buildings in the downtown historic district that provide affordable housing opportunities and may be in need of renovation or rehabilitation. The Northfield HRA is utilizing 2016 CDBG Funding to provide an incentive or matching grant program for the following activities:
- Rehabilitation or improvements limited to facade and code requirements of eligible privately owned residential and/or mixed use residential rental buildings in the Northfield Historic District serving low/moderate income residents.
- Energy system improvements or retrofits to enhance the use of residential rental units and preservation of historic residential rental structures serving low/moderate income residents. All improvements must meet the 2016 ICC Energy Code Requirements.
- Windows – 45 U factor, or less Ducting-R8 sealed
- Insulation – R13.3 (mass wall) Heating & Cooling Systems-Energy Star Compliant
- Eligible projects must include one (1) or more rental dwelling units; one project equals one building.
- The HRA will provide rental property owners with grant funds matching the property owner’s contribution $1 for every $1 spent by the property owner with a total maximum grant of $ 3,000 per unit or $10,000 per building for qualified properties.
- Rental dwelling unit households must meet low/moderate income limits of 80% or less of the Rice County median income to qualify for dwelling unit improvements.
- To qualify for building improvements not related to a unit occupied by low/moderate income tenant(s), 51% or more of households within the building must meet low/moderate income limits of 80% or less of the Rice County median income.
- Incomes from all adults in the home must be verified and documentation must be provided at the time of application. Updates on income sources may be requested prior to disbursement of funds.
- Eligible improvements include: code-related corrections, building interior and exterior, ADA compliance modifications, work related to lead-based paint, energy systems improvements or retrofits to enhance the use of residential rental units and preservation of historic residential rental structures
- Ineligible improvements include: work begun before grant authorization, building additions, recreational facilities, and assessments for public improvements.
- Rental units receiving matching funds under this program must serve income eligible tenants for 5 years after receiving funds.
Funding is limited and will be considered on a first come, first served basis. For additional information contact Housing Coordinator Janine Atchison 507-645-3047.
Information & Application
For more information or to apply for this opportunity, please see the Program Guide and Application available on the City of Northfield website http://www.ci.northfield.mn.us/DocumentCenter/View/3857
|NewLogo small.png||10.06 KB|