- Go! Northfield-Dundas
- Submit Content
Northfield Healthy Community Initiative
Youth. Families. Community.
Updated: 1 hour 19 min ago
City of Northfield Youth Leadership Academy — June 22-25, 2015
The City of Northfield and Mayor’s Youth Council invite local high school students to apply.
Up to five students will be selected.
What: A week-long career exploration program for local high school students interested in gaining exposure to municipal careers, including local government and public service.
Who: Open to youth entering grades 10-12 in fall 2015. (Current 9th, 10th and 11th graders may apply.)
When: Monday, June 22 to Thursday, June 25, 2015. Students must commit to attending events and activities all four days between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., and on Tuesday evening. Exact schedule TBA.
Where: Students will meet each day at the Northfield City Hall, 801 Washington Street. From there, students will tour various departments and facilities throughout the city.
Students will spend a half or full day with staff from the following departments:
- City Administration – Spend time with Nick Haggenmiller, City Administrator, learning what it takes to support the departments and personnel that make a city run.
- Community Development – Discussion, presentations, and tours on the Northfield Comprehensive Plan, Northfield Land Development Code, public infrastructure vs. private infrastructure, public project planning, sustainable development, economic development, and more.
- Communications & Human Resources – Engage with staff members to brainstorm how the City can use Facebook, learn about what happens in human resources, hear tips about how employees are recruited and hired, and more.
- Library – Learn about operating the Northfield Public Library! Students will cycle through a number of stations at the library, including reference, children’s services, circulation, and tech services.
- Police – Staff will introduce law enforcement as a career and discuss its challenges. Presentations from members of Patrol, Investigations, Records, and Evidence divisions. Tour and pizza at the Police Department.
- Public Works – Tour the City’s Public Works, including job sites, the wastewater treatment plant, and parks, and discuss operations and infrastructure management.
To Apply: Click HERE. Or DOWNLOAD and complete the application form and return it via email to email@example.com or drop it off with Kari Bonde in the Administration Office at City Hall (801 Washington Street).
Please submit your application online, by email, or in person no later than Monday, June 8, 2015, at 5 p.m. Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be scheduled for Wednesday or Thursday, June 10 or 11. Students will be notified of their status by Friday, June 12.
The Mayor’s Youth Council is hosting a community garage sale this Friday and Saturday. There are hundreds of items for sale! The sale is part of the Northfield Shares “Goods for Good” community garage sale initiative.
- FRIDAY, MAY 15, 2015 — 3:30-6:00 p.m.
- SATURDAY, MAY 16, 2015 — 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
WHERE: Northfield Maintenance Facility (1710 Riverview Drive, behind Perkins Restaurant and across from the new police station)